We live overseas: Where can we obtain the Notice of Intention to Marry (NOIM)?
Overseas visitors can obtain a Notice Of Intention To Marry from your nearest Australian Consulate or Public Notary, or the website of the Attorney General of Australia www.ag.gov.au

Or CLICK HERE: Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)

When should we send the Notice of Intention to Marry to the Celebrant in Australia?
Notice of one month commences upon receipt of signed and witnessed COPY of NOIM, arrange with celebrant for this to be emailed or sent by fax asap.

The original of your Notice Of Intention To Marry (NOIM) forwarded by Registered Post

What is the Legal Age to be Married?
You will have to prove that you are 18 years of age or older. There are no residency requirements, you must prove to a Celebrant that you are legally free to marry, you will have to provide the same documents as an Australian citizen.

Must our Documents be translated to English?
All documents provided to your chosen Celebrant must be written in English or a translated copy, certified and signed by an accredited translator.

What documents must we provide?
The documents required for a marriage in Australia are:

  • A Birth Certificate or official extract and photo ID
  • A valid Passport
  • If divorced, your decree absolute.
  • If widowed, the death certificate of your spouse & previous marriage certificate.
  • Legal proof of any name changes

Do we need to provide the Celebrant ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS? YES

Original copies of all documents including birth certificates and passports for couples from overseas, are to be sighted by the celebrant before the day of the ceremony.

Legally a person can only be married once at any given time.
Your ceremony must comply with the Marriage Act of 1961. If you have been previously married in another Country, and wish to ‘celebrate’ again in Australia, then your ceremony will take the format of ‘Renewal of Vows’.

Registered Marriage Certificate
Once the marriage has been solemnised, your Celebrant will Register the Marriage with the NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages or the Registry in the appropriate State. You will be required to complete the application form and acquire the Registered Marriage Certificate from BDM.

You are advised to check with your Embassy or Government body to ascertain that your Marriage Certificate should require an Apostille stamp. Click on the links below for more information www.smartraveller.gov.au/authen.html or www.apostille.com.au/ or Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade www.dfat.gov.au